Monday, November 19, 2007

53 pounds lighter after removing sound deadener



Use as much heat as you can get when removing the sound deadener out of the trunk! I put a heat lamp on one section at a time and waited until the area got up to about 110 degrees. 140-160 would probably be even better. It wasn't too hard to remove, but it could've been easier too. Anyway, it was well worth the 53 pounds removed! I was expecting about 20. Now I am feeling a little more ambitious about removing the rest of the sound deadening from the interior.


Also, I was able to pry the carbon roof away from my "mold"...I used paint-stir sticks as wedges at first, eventually upgrading to a 3' long piece of 1x3 to get it to pop. After trimming it, I ended up a 3.8 lbs, although I may need to add some more reinforcement to the underside, maybe another pound. Anyway, it should be saving quite a bit of weight up top...just the sunroof panel alone is about 12 pounds. I need to trim the edges a little more but overall I am pretty happy with how it came out. I learned a few techniques that I will be able to apply to the hood and trunk lid.

No comments: