Friday, November 30, 2007

Electrical work-


I decided to tackle the electrical system in the car...or at least simplify it a little. I got rid of the power windows, power locks, power mirror wiring, stereo, speakers and some misc wires that didn't seem to do anything. Every once in a while I would fire up the car just to make sure it still started. After mapping the tail lights and fuel pump wiring, I ripped out pretty much everything else in the back half of the car. All this added up to about 28 lbs of wire out of the car.
Next I removed the original battery from the trunk and shortened the cables so that I can mount my new lightweight battery behind the passenger seat. I chose to put it behind the passenger seat since mounting under the hood would expose it to too much heat, and mounting it in the passenger footwell would take up space where I want to install a fire system. The new battery is 13 lbs, the old one is 39 lbs (26 lbs savings). I think I figured out a way to install an external kill switch too...I'm just not positive that it will shut down the current from the alternator.
I'm going to finish up the carbon hood and trunk this weekend, I just got in 12 more yards of material and some new low temp epoxy so I should be all set. After the hood and trunk are mounted, I can get the car back over to the scales to see what kind of progress I've made. Plus, I wouldn't mind driving it again, it's been sitting for a couple weeks. I ended up buying a Corbeau seat for the car from the previous owner, so that should help with weight as well. It's actually not that bad of a seat. I initially wanted to get an OMP seat with the halo head protection, but they run about $700 each. The Corbeau is a much better choice right now.

No comments: