Monday, January 28, 2008

Kirkey Race Seat Installed


The Kirkey race seat finally arrived...it took about 4 weeks to get a 15" size, I guess they aren't that popular. I just wanted the thing to fit as perfect as possible, and 16" was too loose. It is the intermediate road race version, and I added the Halo head restraint. To attach the seat to the car, I welded some aircraft-spec bolts to the chassis and lined up the brackets.

I decided to not buy the seat cover, I'm going to place some fire-proof foam in a few key areas instead. The seat is about 6" lover than the other one, and I can barely see over the dash! This is great for center of gravity, but bad for visibility. A little foam on the bottom should help a bit. The halo is a nice touch, hopefully it will help limit lateral head movement in a side impact. The seat also feels like it will work with a HANS nicely. Overall, I think it's a great seat for the price. After I add a seat-back brace, it should be a very safe solution.

No comments: