Monday, January 7, 2008

Short throw shifter and SS brake lines installed

I finally got around to installing the short throw shifter and bushings I bought a while ago. The shift lever is from a 2.3L Z3 (I think) and the throw is greatly reduced. Installing just the shifter is pretty easy, but if you want to replace the bushings in the linkage, that is where things get tricky.

The recommended procedure is to remove the exhaust system, heat shields and driveline, then lower the transmission 3" to access the linkage. After looking at what a pain it was going to be to remove all that, I almost gave up...until I remembered- THE PLASMA CUTTER! I cut a 3"x4" hole in the transmission tunnel and drove out the retaining pin and cir clip without any trouble. I replaced the badly worn bushings at the selector rod and finished up in about 20 minutes. That is definitely the way to do it, thanks plasma.

I also installed some stainless braided brake lines and bled out the super old brown fluid and replaced it with some Wilwood 570. Easy job, except for the inboard rear lines...I'll tackle those when I replace the diff.

1 comment:

Ryder Step said...

I was going to cut a hole like you did to replace the bushings. Did you end up re-welding the hole close?

Additionally I have a 325iX (All Wheel Drive) So the front drive shaft, and transfer case are in the way.