Friday, March 21, 2008

Wing supports finished, rear firewall added


I finished the wing supports, it is now very rigid. You can easily push the car by the wing, and it's very stiff laterally as well - the whole car rocks back and forth if you push the wing. I had to fabricate a lower brace in the trunk to stiffen up the sheetmetal- it added some weight, but I can use a little weight in the rear anyway.




I also made a new rear firewall since we cut out the original to fit the roll cage. I used 20 gauge sheetmetal and used a cardboard template to finalize the shape. I am going to use epoxy with micro to fill the seams, or a little caulk or something.


My Kevlar fabric arrived, so I'm getting ready to make my new fenders. Kevlar is a pain to cut, but I found a special pair of snips at Home Depot that seem to do the job --- Wiss MPX serrated blade shears. They were about $15 (versus $65 for the special Kevlar shears) and they cut the fabric well, as long as it is under tension. If you don't hold the fabric taut, it is almost impossible to cut.



No comments: