Friday, May 2, 2008

Carbon/Kevlar door skins

I completed the door skins, made from a Carbon/Kevlar composite. I used Kevlar for the inner layer to protect the driver from shards of carbon in case the doors are destroyed. I was able to do the whole layup in my driveway since we're having nice weather...although the neighbors seem to frown upon a guy in his driveway wearing a Tyvek suit and respirator.


Here are the doors after an initial trim and simply taped to the car. I haven't quite figured out how to attach the skins to the car, but I have a few ideas. I just need to make a trip to the steel shop one of these days. The doors will be fixed (non-opening) so you'll have to climb in through the windows, but I don't think it's going to be a big problem. The skins only weigh about 6 or 8 ounces, compared to about 45lbs each for the complete doors.


No comments: