Sunday, February 3, 2008

Lexan windows installed





The rear lexan windows are finally in, it was a lot more work than I tough it would be. I first had to weld on a bunch of "anchor nuts" (thanks www.aircraftspruce.com !) to the window channel which proved difficult. The nuts have tabs on them, but the steel was very thin and hard to weld correctly. I bought a 4x8 sheet of 1/8" Lexan from Silver State plastics for about $100. 4x8 is plenty to do all 4 windows. After making a template out of cardboard, I used a router to cut the Lexan and a belt sander to smooth out the cuts. A little black paint around the edges finished up the project nicely.
I'm a little burnt out on doing the windows for now, but the fronts will have to be done as well, just for some shred of comfort when driving to the track in cold weather. Since I used anchor nuts, I can unscrew a few bolts and remove the window completely for track days if the club doesn't allow fixed windows.