Thursday, February 7, 2008

Prep for the Cage


The cage kit came a few days ago from Kirk Racing. It's basically the main hoop with a few pieces tacked together, then the rest is just a bunch of tubes (about 150lbs worth). We'll have to notch all of them ourselves, oh well. I thought I would get a little more for close to $800. I bought a tube notcher at Harbor Freight for about $40, so it shouldn't be too bad.

My buddy and I ripped out the dashboard in preparation for the dash bar install. I can pretty much guarantee that the dash won't ever be inside the car again...I think it would be a huge pain to try and fit it back in. I will plan on making a new dash after I buy an aftermarket gauge cluster.

Next we have to remove all the paint where the cage points will mount and plan the layout of each piece. I'm really glad i already cut the roof off, I have no idea how we could fully weld the cage otherwise.

No comments: