Saturday, March 29, 2008

Started making the new fenders---

Today I finally got around to starting on the fenders. I'm using a composite technique called "fleece" where you stretch some fabric over a wooden form to get a smooth shape or curve. Fleecing works perfectly for the shape of these fenders. I used 1/4" MDF to cut the wheel shape and the flare. The flare is about 2.5".

Next I stretched some cotton spandex over the forms ( I hot-glued the wood to the body to hold it in place). 3M 77 spray adhesive holds the fabric to the wood and body.


...taking shape!


Here is the fleece with a couple thin coats of epoxy. The epoxy will give the fleece just enough stiffness to add the layers of composite fabric. After the Kevlar is molded, I can release it from the fleece and removed the wood forms.



No comments: