Sunday, March 30, 2008

Fender progress



I added two layers of Kevlar this morning (with help from my neighbor- thanks again!) The fleece hardened up really well and made a good surface to mold to. I used some liquid poly wax as a release agent and I think it was working a little too well...we had a tough time getting the first layer to stick. The second layer went on easily and laminated thoroughly. The creases aren't super-sharp, but that's what you get using a moldless process. Overall I'm pretty happy and it looks like the technique will work well enough to do the rears as well.
I should be able to release and trim the fenders in the next day or so (the epoxy has a longer cure time due to the cold weather.) Meanwhile I'm prepping the rest of the panels for fleece. The driver's front is done, I just need to cut the MDF for the rears.

No comments: