Monday, March 31, 2008

More fender work- rough trim to test fit.


The fenders are coming along nicely, I was able to release the Kevlar from the fleece (male mold) without too much drama. The shape gives the fender some rigidity, but it is still a little too flexible with out being securely fastened to the car. I may add some supporting layers of fabric to the back side later on. The photo above shows a quick and dirty trim so that I could test the fit, the finished product will be more refined.

The next step is to add a matching flare to the bumper so that the lines can continue uninterrupted. I would like to make a complete bumper cover, but I think I'll wait until I'm finished with the flares all around. I may start on making some lightweight door skins at the same time, a fixed-position door setup will save about 55lbs over my current setup.

FYI- the weight of the new fender is approximately 2.25 lbs :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great. Are you going to market that rear diffuser?

Anonymous said...

Howdy, GREAT BLOG!


I saw your post on E30tech.com about parting out an e30.


I am very interested in parts, i live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I can drive down to pick up ASAP!

Please E-mail me back at Arney25@hotmail.com

Sorry i couldnt contact you through E30tech.com, i registered but i am not able to post yet.

Unknown said...

Is there any disadvantage to using a non M car to start with or can you make the chassis and suspension the same or better? I thought the e30 m3 had completely different suspension.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

I ran across this post when considering fabricating kevlar body panels for a project of mine. How expensive was the project roughly? I'd love to get some insight from you, my email is brainyard[at]gmail.com