Monday, April 7, 2008

Rear fenders are taking shape



I finally got around to fleecing the rear fenders now that the fronts have cured and my techniques have been semi-proven. I'm planning on putting a coat of epoxy on the fleece soon, so adding Kevlar should happen this week if all goes well. The cold temperatures have really slowed the cure of my epoxy so the whole process is taking double what it should. We are supposed to have 70 degree weather this weekend, so hopefully I can make some progress.

The fronts came out nice, they only needed a little bit of micro to smooth out a few low spots from the deformed male mold (once again, the cold temp made the epoxy cure too slowly, allowing for deformation of the mold during the cure). The biggest challenge was making matching bumper extensions to match the fender flares. I should've made the whole thing as one piece then cut it to allow removal of the bumper. I believe my solution will work, but it was a lot of extra work that could've been eliminated. I am now doing the rear sections as one piece that I will cut later so I can remove the rear bumper.

Another thing I learned is to reinforce my MDF forms with an adhesive in addition to hot glue. I used heaters to cure the front flares, which melted the hot glue at 150 degrees, which deformed the mold. The rears have additional supports as well as standard adhesive that should hold up under artificial heat.
In other news-- the doors have been prepped for molding as well, I am planning on using a carbon fiber/Kevlar laminate to create some lightweight door skins. I'm just going to pin them on using Dzus fasteners, I can't think of a situation where I would need a hinged door (emergency workers can pull me through the window just as easy as if I had a normal door, since the x-brace is in the way anyway). To prep the doors I cut off all unnecessary sheetmetal and filled in the door handle area. The new skins should be about 12-16oz. each.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Veru Nice job, keep it up, I wonder how fast is going to be, I have couple questions though, how did you come with design for rear defusor and how did you calculated the downforce, do you use any software such as solid works or autocad?

Thanks,

Vitaliy325