Saturday, March 8, 2008

Super-ridiculous wing fabrication begins!




I really want my rear wing to be functional, so that means making my own. Most of the wings on the market are designed for looks, and not much function. One of the most important things for wing efficiency is getting it "clean" air...not the turbulent crap spinning close to the trunk. My solution- raise it as high as I can! In the end it will be almost level with the roof line...should look pretty lame, oh well.

I started with some 1/8" aluminum and plasma cut the shapes using a cardboard template. The wing will mount to the floor of the trunk and tie in to the rear crash rails for extra support. I cut some slots near the license plate to allow the supports to go through uninterrupted.

MIG welding aluminum is possible, but a big pain in the ass. Get a spool gun or a TIG. I got the job done, but I had to fix the spool every 2 minutes due to feed problems.

No comments: