Thursday, May 22, 2008

The diffuser is taking shape!

The rear diffuser if finally taking shape...I've had to redesign it a few times after it started out way too big. Functionally it would've been awesome, but it looked ridiculous. Now it still looks ridiculous, just less :)


Here it is temporarily mounted for fitting. It is constructed from aluminum honeycomb composite and is pretty light for its size. The main angle of attack is also adjustable.


The tail end protrudes past the rear bumper about 1.5"---it matches the wing uprights nicely. I'll paint the whole diffuser black as soon as our weather gets better again...only 58 degrees today.

You can also see I left an open air channel above the main diffuser surface to allow as much airflow as possible...the fuel cell will block some of this flow, but it's better than having the air get turbulent behind the bumper.



Here's the support brackets I made from square stock and c-channel. I welded in all-metal lock nuts to the inside of the c-channel as mounting points.


I also made a new photo album in addition to this blog, it contains all my build photos so far-

Project E30 Photo Build Diary

No comments: