Thursday, May 15, 2008

New Fuel Cell fitted



I finally purchased the correct fuel cell...I picked up a flange mount 12 gallon unit. It was a little too tall to just leave it sitting on the floor of the trunk, so I cut a hole in the floor to drop it through in an effort to lower the center of gravity. It sits about 5" below the floor and 4" above. It's a little higher than the stock tank, but I need a lot of weight in the rear so hopefully this should be a good trade off.
I used L-channel steel to distribute the weight across to the frame rails, where I will fabricate a bolt-in mechanism. I was going to weld the whole thing in, but I thought it might be nice to have the ability to remove it to service the differential or sub frame.
After the cell is completely fit, I'll have to figure out how to re-route my fuel lines and install a new pump and filter setup. I should probably do that soon, considering I put Kevlar over the old fuel door and it's going to be tough to get gas in the old tank. Whoops. Maybe I can use a transfer pump and some hose for a while.

No comments: